Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Christmas Is Coming And I Am So Not Ready

This year my son and his family from Saint Louis, MO will be visiting us for Christmas. They have three little ones and I am so excited to be able to spend Christmas with them. I have so much to do to get the house ready. Right now it looks like an episode of horders with boxes and boxes of stuff lining every room. I wish I could move out and move back in again. I have just six more stockings to make and then I am done sewing for others. Yippie! I have a few sewing projects planned for the holidays and I have already started on one.


New Chair covers! With five more bodies in the house we will need extra seating.
 
 
I have had these chairs for fifteen years. We never use them any longer and they hang out in one of the bedrooms now. I made cotton slipcovers for them five years ago and as you can see they  are pretty worn out.
 
 
 
This is even worse. The seat cover is really old and that has got to go too.
 
 
I removed the old fabric and there was a nice white fabric underneath. Score! I am making a new slipcover but in two sections. The top portion is seperate from the bottom.
 
 
This is the back side.
 
The seat cover just slips over the top and can be removed to wash when needed.
 



 
I just love this homespun check fabric. I bought the fabric to make pillows for the shops and I fell in love with it after making several pillows. Becaue these are slipcovers I can always make others and put these away for next year.
 

 
I only have three chairs to cover since the forth one fell apart just like in the story  Goldilocks and the Three Bears. One down two to go. Now back to making those last stockings.
 
Christmas Blessings
Love,
Joanie
 

5 comments:

Dawn said...

What a clever idea to make the slipcover in 2 sections. I love them and want some for my kitchen. Your are so pretty, and the gingham fabric is perfect. Lovely idea:)

Debby said...

I don't understand how you make them in two parts and get the bottom to stay on the chair. How does it attach to the seat. I think we need a tutorial. Love the red and white.

Lola and Bea said...

Thanks for all your comments. I think the reason the slipcove stays on is because when I make them I pin each cover to the seat and then pin the welting around so it hugs below the top of the seat. Then I sew them.There is just enough room for the slipcover to tightly squeeze behind the seat.

Unknown said...

They're gorgeous.

Lola and Bea said...

I amnot finished yet but thank you.